Happy Thanksgiving, world! As I sit snuggled into my bed looking at the light dusting of snow we received overnight, I can’t help but think of all that I’m thankful for in 2014. Here’s a quick list.
- For the best and most magical experience of my life, attending the 2014 Sundance Film Festival. Not a day goes by that I don’t think back fondly on my time in Park City (sorry to those around me who have to listen). Though I won’t be attending in 2015 (and I don’t want to talk about that), I plan to be back in 2016, and I can’t wait until it’s time to return.
- For a Bachelor’s degree from a university I love dearly. I graduated on May 17 with a BA in Pop Culture Studies, and that hasn’t really sunken in at all. I am so grateful to have attended WKU, where I was able to study abroad twice, learn a new language (and a bit of another), write a 65-page thesis about the Harry Potter series, and get a degree in something I thought could only be a hobby.
- For the health of my family. My mom has gone through some strange health problems for about a year-and-a-half and my uncle had a minor stroke in September. I’m so very thankful to know that the people I love are healthy (or getting that way), even down to the two cats running around our house.
- For the opportunities and challenges presented by starting grad school. I’m at the conclusion of my first semester of a grad program in English (also at WKU), and though my semester has had its ups and downs, I’ve finally settled into feeling confident and capable in my program. Being the only student without an English degree was a bit difficult for a while, but it’s so nice to finally feel at home in my program.
- And finally, for the books, TV shows, movies, and pop culture adventures that I have enjoyed in 2014. I will never reach my fill of good things to read and watch, and that’s something to be truly thankful for.
Have a safe, restful, and happy holiday, everyone!